Ship-bound Coast man diagnosed with virus on day quarantine ends

A Sunshine Coast man who has been in quarantine inside his cabin on the Diamond Princess cruise ship has tested positive for coronavirus and will be separated from his wife, the same day evacuations are due to start back to Australia.

Feb 19, 2020, updated May 21, 2025

Paul and Coralie Williamson have been in isolation on board the stricken ship, docked off Yokohama in Japan, since February 4.

Mr Williamson said he would be transferred to hospital and his wife would “remain on board at this stage”.

It is unfortunate timing for the couple.

The official quarantine period aboard the ship finishes today and the Federal Government has arranged a charter flight to evacuate the Australians on board, leaving today or tomorrow.

“Still a lot of questions re what will happen to Coralie in particular,” Mr Williamson said.

“We are prioritising our needs at the moment.”

The couple had been extremely careful during their containment.

Their room had an en suite and balcony, unlike others on the ship, and they declined invitations to get fresh air on the deck in an effort to limit their exposure to the virus.

Those who did go were asked to stay two metres away from other passengers and crew.

Stay informed, daily

During previous interviews with the ABC, Mr Williamson said they were going stir crazy aboard the ship.

To keep mentally healthy, they had decided to ration their movie stash and used their Fitbits to track their exercise in their cramped quarters.

Passengers have been unable to interact with one another, with the only outside human contact coming from staff members delivering food to the rooms.

“It is surreal, it’s quite bizarre,” Mr Williamson, a former school principal, said earlier this month.

Of the 223 Australians among the 2666 guests and 1045 crew aboard the ship, Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said he expected most would take up the offer of the flight home, although the final numbers have not yet been confirmed.

Once in Australia they would remain in isolation for a further fortnight.

The number of confirmed cases on the ship jumped by 88 on Tuesday evening, reaching a total of 542 passengers and crew who have caught the virus.

– ABC 

    Archive