Protesters have delivered a letter to the Premier’s office calling for a new bill giving government new powers to seize land to be dropped.

Local farmers and residents rallied together this morning to formally request Premier David Crisafulli and the LNP withdraw legislation they claim would grant new powers to seize property and fast-track major developments.
The State Development and Public Works Organisation (Critical Minerals) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2026 raised concerns last week when the Queensland parliamentary Primary Industries and Resources Committee called for it to be passed with no changes.
Protesters claim the bill would allow the Deputy Premier and State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jarrod Bleijie to seize private land, reduce environment assessments and waive community objection rights for developments deemed strategic to Queensland.
The Bill saw objections raised in 90 percent of 90 public submission to the parliamentary committee, and has been criticised by Property Rights Australia, Queensland Conservation Council, AgFore Queensland, Lock the Gate, the Queensland Law Society, First Nations groups, farmers and environmentalists.
It was also criticised by LNP Member for Flynn Colin Boyce and Member for Traeger Robbie Katter who called it “a fast track for the big end of town”.
There were concerns the Bill will be passed when parliament resumes on Monday, August 25.
Innes Larkin, organisation lead of Lock the Gate, attended the open letter delivery at Premier Crisafulli’s office this morning, and said the bill was an outrageous power grab by the Queensland government.
“It is critical that communities have the right to scrutinise major projects,” Larkin said. “Without these rights, our community could have never stopped the dangerous proposal to frack gas in the Scenic Rim.”
Crisafulli has previously said the reforms would unlock the state’s significant reserves of critical minerals and provide business certainty to invest in Queensland.
Caitlin Wood, a Springbrook farmer said this bill could undo the huge amount of time and effort her family has invested into creating sustainable agricultural systems, improving soil health and regenerating forest at her Springbrook property.
“It’s terrifying to think that under these new laws, the government of the day could rip away our ability to protect and manage our own land,” Wood said.
Wirdi woman Murrawah Johnson, co-director of Youth Verdict said this “draconian” law would wind back the rights of First Nations people in Queensland.
“The Queensland Law Society has warned that this law could be used to remove the requirement for companies to sit down with Traditional Owners to discuss native title and cultural heritage before land is compulsorily acquired,” Johnson said.
The Deputy Premier’s office has been contacted for comment.
Want to see more stories from InDaily Qld in your Google search results?